Beef Stew is a straightforward affair – however it’s a stunner. Meltingly tender beef smothered in a deeply flavoured sauce, it’s economical, hearty and there’s nothing higher to heat your soul. Let it simmer away slowly on the range or oven, velocity issues up utilizing your strain cooker, or set and neglect together with your sluggish cooker!
The Queen of Brown Meals strikes once more. Again to again brown meals, probably the 2 MOST brown meals on the earth – a curry on Friday, and now Beef Stew at present.
*Head smack* I’ll by no means be editor. Are you able to think about? Web page after web page after web page of brown, saucy goodness…..
I need to have the ability to speak to you about how on chilly winter days, there’s nothing like coming dwelling to a steaming bowl of hearty beef stew. And again to again brown-food recipes apart, I did really put some thought into my recipe sharing schedule and deliberate to share this Beef Stew in April which is smack bang in the course of Autumn (right here in Australia).
So I actually did assume I may speak to you about how I pulled out my winter boots, how I’m curled up on the sofa bundled in a throw as I write this submit, and the way a lot I wanted I had a steaming bowl of Beef Stew in entrance of me.
The truth couldn’t be any totally different. It appears we’re in the course of an Infinite Summer season. It was 30C / 85F at present. So not stew climate! It’s nonetheless seaside climate!!!
Having mentioned that although, disintegrate beef smothered in a wealthy purple wine stew sauce will get me each time, regardless of how heat it’s exterior. And also you..? ☺️
Beef Stew is a reasonably easy affair (except for endurance whereas it simmers away), however I do have one huge tip: brown the meat effectively. The higher the browning, the extra brown stuff you’ve caught on the underside of the pot = higher sauce flavour with a deeper, richer color. You’ll see within the recipe video how the bottom of my pot is principally totally darkish brown after I end browning the meat.
I do know that mashed potato is the very first thing individuals consider to serve with Beef Stew, however strive bread considered one of lately. Think about that second once you tear off some heat bread and dunk it into that unimaginable sauce….
OK, I confess, I did that picture above simply to point out you one other method to serve Beef Stew. As a result of whereas bread is nice, I personally don’t serve stew with something apart from mashed potato.
Or cauliflower mash. If I’m “attempting to be wholesome”.
I often make Beef Stew on the range, however I’ve been recognized to hurry it utilizing a strain cooker (that’s On the spot Pot now, for many of America! ). Utilizing the sluggish cooker can also be actually handy, and generally I’ll use the oven, particularly if I’m doing a bunch of different stuff on the range. So I’ve supplied instructions for all.
Take pleasure in! – Nagi x
Lively Cook dinner Time: 20 minutes Inactive Cook dinner Time: 2 hrs 20 minutes
A basic beef stew, with meltingly tender beef smothered in a wealthy sauce. It’s economical, hearty, and easy, although it does require endurance for the magic to occur. Or velocity issues up utilizing your strain cooker / On the spot Pot. Be sure you brown the meat effectively – it’s key for the deep wealthy color and flavour of the sauce! Nice on the day, however even higher the subsequent day so make forward if you happen to can. Recipe VIDEO under.
- 1.2 kg / 2.4lb chuck beef (, lower into three.5 cm / 1.5" cubes (Notice 1))
- 1 tsp every salt and pepper
- three tbsp olive oil (, divided)
- 1 massive onion (, halved then lower into 1 cm / 2/5" slices)
- four garlic cloves (, minced)
- three carrots (, lower into 2.5cm / 1" items on the diagonal)
- 2 celery stalks (, lower into 2.5 cm / 1" items)
- 1/three cup / 50g flour
- three cups / 750ml beef broth (, salt diminished)
- 2 cups / 500 ml purple wine (, daring and dry (Cab Sauv, Burgundy, Merlot) (Notice 2))
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves (, recent or dried)
- four sprigs thyme
- 400 g / 14 oz child potatoes (, halved)
- Extra salt and pepper (, to style.)
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Warmth 1 half tbsp oil in a big, heavy based mostly casserole pot over excessive warmth till simply beginning to smoke.
- Add 1/three of the meat and brown aggressively throughout – about four minutes. Take away to bowl and repeat with remaining beef, including extra oil if required.
- Flip down warmth to medium excessive. Add 1 tbsp oil if required. Add onion and garlic, cook dinner for two minutes till onion is softened barely and golden on the sting.
- Add carrot and celery, stir for 1 minute to coat in flavours.
- Sprinkle flour evenly throughout floor, then stir to coat.
- Add broth, purple wine, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to dissolve tomato paste and flour into liquid.
Add cooked beef (together with any juices), thyme, bay leaf and potato. Stir. Water degree ought to virtually totally cowl all the pieces (see video), if not, add a contact of water.
Carry to simmer, then regulate warmth to low / medium low so it’s simmering gently. (Notice three for different cooking strategies)
- Cowl and cook dinner for 1 hour 45 minutes or till beef is fairly tender (verify with 2 forks at 1.5 hrs).
Take away lid and simmer for additional 30 minutes or till sauce reduces barely. It ought to be like a skinny gravy (see video) and beef ought to now be very tender.
Season to style with salt and pepper. Serve over creamy mashed potato with a sprig of recent thyme for adornment or a sprinkle of parsley.
1. Any sluggish cooking lower of beef will work. Chuck is my favorite from a texture and fats % level. Brisket and gravy beef can even work nice.
2. Purple wine provides to the depth of flavour of the sauce. Any dry, pretty daring purple wine is ok – don’t use pinot noir. For those who can’t devour alcohol, substitute with extra beef broth and a pair of tsp brown sugar.
three. Different Cooking Strategies:
– OVEN: Cowl and bake for two half hours at 150C / 300F. Take away lid then return to oven for an extra 30 – 45 minutes to cut back sauce.
– SLOW COOKER: Scale back beef broth by 1 cup. After you end step 7, switch all the pieces into the sluggish cooker. If there may be residual brown bits on the bottom of the pot, add a splash of water and convey to simmer, scraping the underside of the pot to scrape it off then tip all of it into the sluggish cooker. Add remaining elements, per recipe. Cook dinner on low for eight hours. Take away lid and let it relaxation for 15 minutes earlier than serving, stirring every so often (the sauce will thicken barely).
– PRESSURE COOKER: Comply with sluggish cooker directions, besides cook dinner on HIGH for 40 minutes (this might sound longer than most however we’re utilizing chuck right here which must be cooked for a very long time till tender and likewise the items are fairly massive).
– INSTANT POT: You probably have an On the spot Pot, comply with steps 1 to 7 of the recipe utilizing the sauté operate, then proceed with both the Gradual Cooker or Strain Cooker operate. Additionally, you will have the luxurious of having the ability to simmer with the lid off on the finish if you wish to thicken the sauce barely.
four. STORAGE / LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate or freeze, then thaw earlier than reheating on the range or microwave. Tastes even higher the subsequent day as a result of the flavours develop much more.
5. Diet per serving, assuming 6 servings. I prefer to trim extra fats from the meat however this isn’t factored into the vitamin.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
LIFE OF DOZER
Life Of Dozer ↓↓↓
The submit Beef Stew appeared first on Good meals made fast and simple – Recipe Tin Eats.