For all these instances you’ve gazed longingly on the sticky, crimson purple Char Siu hanging from hooks within the window of Chinese language barbecue outlets…… Chinese language Barbecue Pork is finger licking’ good and you can be shocked how straightforward is it to make at residence!
No journey to Chinatown right here in Sydney is full with out taking residence a container of Chinese language barbecue pork. And I’m but to handle the drive all the way in which residence with out sneaking in a bit style check (or two…or three).
The rattling site visitors lights! In the event that they have been GREEN all the way in which residence, then I wouldn’t have an opportunity to try this!
OK, that’s a blatant lie. The place there’s a will, there’s a manner, and we each know I’d be hooning over the Harbour Bridge, holding the steering wheel with one hand and rummaging round within the plastic carry bag with the opposite, blindly attempting to really feel my solution to the barbecue pork container.
I first tried Char Siu Pork at residence maybe 10 years in the past and the recipe I exploit has advanced over time. Little tweaks to make it as shut as I can to my favorite Chinese language barbecue store with out having to make a trek to the Asian retailer to seek out onerous to seek out substances.
I’m not precisely positive the place I sourced the unique recipe from – most likely Gourmand Traveller journal.
The actual deal Chinese language barbecue pork is cooked over charcoals, with the meat hanging on hooks. However for us unusual of us, you possibly can nonetheless make Chinese language barbecue pork at residence that tastes similar to retailer purchased, it simply has much less smokey flavour.
I lastly managed to get a Chinese language barbecue store to inform me what minimize of meat they use. Pork scotch fillet!! Aka Pork Neck, Pork Collar or Pork Neck Collar.
It’s additionally terrific made with pork shoulder – I’d say simply pretty much as good. Some folks wish to make it with pork stomach however I discover it too fatty for my style.
I used to make use of pork tenderloin which is way leaner so that you do should be cautious about overcooking, while nonetheless reaching that caramelisation – cook dinner instances for this minimize are within the recipe notes.
Scotch fillet and shoulder are a lot simpler to cook dinner with – they require longer cook dinner time to make the meat juicy which suggests unimaginable caramelisation.
As in – THIS:
That sight makes me weak within the knees, each time.
As for learn how to serve it, right here’s a really typical meal set served at Chinese language BBQ outlets: slices of pork over rice with a aspect of steamed greens with sauce (this Steamed Chinese language Greens with Oyster Sauce is analogous).
This recipe makes rather a lot as a result of the usual dimension of pork scotch fillet roasts is round 1.2 – 1.5kg/2.Four-3lb.
However you’ll thank me. Only one chew, and also you’ll be thanking me profusely for making this a big-batch recipe. – Nagi xx
PS Leftovers – I proceed to eat it for days, but in addition freeze extra. Char Siu can be utilized in Singapore Noodles, Chinese language Fried Rice (additionally see Egg Fried Rice) and can be terrific served on Chinese language Noodle Soup.
Char Siu – Chinese language Barbecue Pork
Your favorite Chinese language barbecue pork made at residence! Gradual cooked so it’s juicy on the within with probably the most unimaginable sticky glaze, that is finger licking’ good! Recipe video beneath.
- 1 half of tbsp brown sugar (white additionally okay)
- 1/Four cup honey
- 1/Four cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp mild soy sauce ((Be aware 1))
- 1 tbsp soy sauce ((Be aware 1))
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder ((Be aware 2))
- 1 tbsp oil (vegetable or canola) ((Be aware three))
- Few drops purple meals colouring (, non-compulsory (Be aware Four))
- 1.2 – 1.5kg / 2.Four – 3lb scotch fillet (aka pork neck / collar neck) OR pork shoulder ((Be aware 5))
- 2 tbsp honey
Combine Marinade substances in a bowl.
Reduce pork in half horizontally to make to lengthy, skinny items (higher flavour penetration).
Place the pork and Marinade in a stain proof container or ziplock bag. Marinate 24 to 48 hours (three hours is the naked minimal).
Preheat oven to 160C/320F.
Line a tray with foil and place a rack on high (really useful however not essential).
Take away pork from the marinade, save Marinade. Place pork on rack.
Roast for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, pour reserved marinade in a saucepan. Combine honey into marinade. Carry to simmer over medium excessive and cook dinner for two minutes till syrupy. Take away from warmth.
Take away pork from oven. Dab marinade throughout, then flip. Baste then roast for an additional 30 minutes.
Take away pork from oven. Brush with marinade once more, then flip, brush with marinade and roast for an additional 20 minutes. If charring too rapidly, cowl with foil.
Baste once more on floor then bake for an additional 10 minutes till caramelised and sticky. Enable to relaxation for 10 minutes earlier than slicing.
Serve with rice and steamed Chinese language greens. See notes for extra makes use of!
1. The sunshine soy sauce provides a contact extra salt to the marinade, the steadiness I like. But it surely’s wonderful to make use of all mild soy sauce or all unusual soy sauce. Don’t use darkish soy sauce (flavour is just too intense).
2. You may get Chinese language 5 spice powder (a mixture of spices) within the herb and spice part of supermarkets and it isn’t any costlier than different spices. You may substitute the Chinese language 5 spice powder with 1 tbsp further hoisin sauce BUT it is best to scale back the sugar to 1 tsp, in any other case it will likely be too candy.
three. Or different impartial flavoured oil.
Four. The purple meals colouring is to make the pork purple, such as you get on the Chinese language barbecue store. That is non-compulsory. Genuine Char Siu makes use of purple bean curd for colouring and a contact of flavour – it may be discovered at Asian shops. I exploit the marinade on this recipe extra incessantly as a result of I can get all of the substances on the grocery store and it has a barely extra intense flavour – makes up for absence of charcoal on this residence model.
5. I used to make this with pork tenderloin (Be aware 6) however I’ve moved to scotch fillet roast (pictured in submit) and pork shoulder as a result of they are perfect for longer cooking to get wonderful caramelisation and the pork is extremely juicy inside. Scotch fillet is also referred to as Pork Neck, Pork Collar or Pork Neck Collar. That is what Chinese language BBQ outlets in Australia use.
Pork shoulder can be thought – fantastically juicy. If utilizing pork shoulder, utilizing boneless, skinless and trim off a lot of the thick layer of fats on the floor.
Some folks additionally make this utilizing pork stomach however I discover that too oily for my style for this explicit recipe.
6. PORK TENDERLOIN cooking instructions (picture right here of the way it seems to be): Roast at 180C/350F for 25 minutes or till the interior temperature is 145 – 160F/ 65 – 70C. Round midway by means of roasting, baste generously with the reserved Marinade. Type of dab it on so that you get as a lot Marinade on the pork as doable – that is key for getting the thick, shiny glaze. Then flick to broiler/grill on excessive and broil for a couple of minutes till floor is charred and shiny, basting a couple of times.
7. Leftovers – I proceed to eat it for days, but in addition freeze extra. Char Siu can be utilized in Singapore Noodles, Chinese language Fried Rice (additionally see Egg Fried Rice) and can be terrific served on Chinese language Noodle Soup.
eight. Diet per serving assuming 6 servings. That is overstated as a result of it doesn’t have in mind the fats that’s rendered out when cooking.
Initially revealed April 2015, up to date Could 2018. Main change is to vary pork minimize from tenderloin to scotch fillet/shoulder – it is a recipe enchancment.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
LIFE OF DOZER
Dozer went in for his ACL surgical procedure this morning. He has to remain in a single day, so this afternoon I headed over to the vet to drop off his favorite toy and an entire bunch of meals for the great staff at Mona Vale Veterinary Clinic. #Shameless
And look!!! Not 30 minutes in the past, the vet referred to as to guarantee me he’s doing simply wonderful and despatched me this picture. ❤️
The submit Chinese language Barbecue Pork (Char Siu Pork) appeared first on RecipeTin Eats.