An outrageously scrumptious, easy hen dinner made on one tray: Honey Mustard Baked Hen Drumsticks AND crispy smashed potatoes. These hen legs are lip smackingly scrumptious – no marinating, and simply FOUR components for the sauce!
OK, so that is one other a type of recipes the place I do issues a bit of in a different way to the standard however hear me out earlier than passing judgement! It’s going to make dinner a breeze, and also you’re going to be rewarded with sticky hen drumsticks WITH a Honey Mustard Sauce AND crispy smashed potatoes on the aspect.
You’re going to make all of it on one baking tray, and it’s going to take you simply 11 minutes to prep with astonishingly few components.
Sound good? Are you prepared? Let’s go!
ENEMIES IN THE OVEN
Crispy potatoes and sticky hen drumsticks are nice mates in your dinner plate.
Sadly, they’re arch enemies within the oven.
Hen drumsticks leech an astonishing quantity of liquid whereas baking which crispy potatoes hate. A lot so, that the potatoes will refuse to crisp up should you merely plonk each on the identical baking tray.
So I take care of this little drawback by setting the hen on foil and folding up the sting to create a barrier to cease the juices and sauce from crossing over to the crispy potato aspect.
This manner, they’ll play properly collectively on the identical tray within the oven, and are available out simply as meant – sticky and saucy drumsticks on one aspect, and crispy potatoes on the opposite aspect!
THE STICKY CHICKEN
three easy steps: A four ingredient honey mustard sauce, hen set on foil with the sting folded as much as cease juices leeching over onto the crispy potatoes aspect (no should be an origami grasp, it simply must do the job), then simply drizzle with sauce.
Plonk the potatoes on the opposite aspect, then bake. That’s it!
THE SMASHED POTATOES
I promised you easy, and easy it’s.
The Crispy Smashed Potatoes recipe I shared a number of months in the past is made with small potatoes that are boiled – as a result of even cooking of a lot of small potatoes within the microwave is a ache.
As a result of this recipe is meant to be a fast hen dinner, I save myself the big effort of bending right down to clang and clatter via my pans to discover a pot of appropriate dimension, filling it with water, bringing it to the boil, boiling the potatoes, draining them, then (OMG I’m so drained already) having to scrub the pot, to not point out ending this recipe.
Nope, for this one, we’re simply going to pop the potatoes within the microwave, summon up the vitality to faucet “10 minutes” into the timer, then dig deep to go the ultimate yard to hit Begin.
As soon as cooked (or just about cooked, they don’t even should be cooked throughout), simply plonk them on the opposite aspect of the tray, smush with something that may do the job (potato masher is my weapon of selection), drizzle with butter or oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and voila! Prepared for the oven!
And that is what comes out.
Oh wait. Bugger, I added the steamed broccolini to this photograph. I don’t know the way it’s potential that out of the 74 images I took, there may be not a single shot of the entire tray straight out of the oven, however it’s occurred.
Sticky drumsticks with a pleasant syrupy sauce. AND crispy smashed potatoes.
Throw on a aspect of steamed veggies of selection and dinner is finished.
Energetic effort time: simply over 10 minutes.
Marinating time: Zero
Deliciousness score: Effectively, let’s put it this manner. There’s a motive why there’s solely 7 drumsticks within the photograph above when the recipe requires eight…. Actually, I’ve the self management of a kid. It’s a shame.
– Nagi x
Honey Mustard Baked Hen Drumsticks with Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Juicy, sticky drumsticks + a honey mustard sauce + crispy smashed potatoes made on ONE baking tray! Easy, fabulous hen dinner with minimal clear up. Recipe video under.
- four x 150g/5oz potatoes ((Word 1))
- 2 tbsp / 30 g olive oil or melted butter
- Salt and pepper
- eight hen legs (about 1 kg / 2 lb)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard ((Word 2))
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard ((or use extra Dijon))
- 1/four cup honey
- 1 garlic clove (, minced)
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch ((Word three))
For serving (optionally available):
- Contemporary thyme leaves or chopped parsley
- Steamed broccolini
Microwave potatoes for 10 minutes on excessive or till cooked. (Word four)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- In the meantime, combine Sauce components collectively.
On a baking tray, place a chunk of foil on one aspect, then high with baking paper (step images and video useful).
- Line up drumsticks snugly on the paper. Fold up the perimeters of the foil and paper so the sauce gained’t leak into the potatoes. Doesn’t should be excessive – even 1cm / 2/5″ is sufficient.
- Spoon Sauce over drumsticks.
When potatoes are prepared, place on the opposite aspect of tray. Squish utilizing potato masher (Word 5) to about 1.7cm / 2/three″ thickness. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Drizzle hen with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip drumsticks (not potatoes), spoon juices over drumsticks.
Bake for an additional 20 minutes, flip, spoon over juices. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes till golden and sticky.
Take away from oven. Squidge the drumsticks round in what ought to now be a syrupy sauce. (Word 6) Serve drumsticks with some sauce, with crispy smashed potatoes and steamed broccolini on the aspect. Sprinkle with recent thyme leaves if utilizing.
1. I take advantage of the on a regular basis dust brushed potatoes or washed potatoes for this recipe (the commonest potato sorts right here in Australia) as a result of it’s simple to search out single-serve dimension ones. Any all goal potato will probably be nice with this. US: Crimson or Yukon gold is right – nice crunch!
I’ve used quite a lot of potatoes through the years and this works nice with all sorts I’ve used, together with child potatoes like in these Extremely Crispy Smashed Potatoes recipe. Excessive starch potatoes will yield a fluffier inside, whereas waxy potatoes are a bit much less fluffy however are kind of creamy. You’ll love each!
Within the curiosity of full disclosure, when you’ve got made the Extremely Crispy Smashed Potatoes recipe, you’ll discover that the potatoes on this recipe are a smidge much less crispy which may be put right down to the additional moisture in its neighborhood because of the hen baking beside it.
2. Or different easy mustard (even that vibrant yellow stuff you placed on sizzling canine!), however not tremendous spicy English mustard – until you need it so spicy it blows your head off!
three. With out this, the sauce is watery due to the hen juices. With this, you’ve got a shiny, syrupy Honey Mustard sauce to drizzle everywhere in the hen and your veggies.
four. No have to prick, doesn’t matter in the event that they burst barely. Doesn’t even matter if they don’t seem to be 100% cooked throughout so long as they’re cooked sufficient to squish.
5. Or fork or backside of glass or spatula. If you may get tough ridges on the floor, you get higher golden crispy bits!
6. SAUCE changes: This sauce thickness will probably be affected by how juicy your drumsticks are however it’s tremendous simple to regulate the sauce. Take away drumsticks and if it’s too thick, add a tiny little bit of water. If nonetheless watery, pop it again within the oven (with out hen) for a few minutes – with out the hen, it should thicken up tremendous quick. Additionally notice that the sauce thickens shortly after eradicating from the oven – after about 5 minutes sitting round on the tray whereas taking images, I needed to skinny out the sauce a bit.
7. STORAGE: Drumsticks will reheat nice from fridge or thawed from freezer. Spoon over share of sauce too! I simply microwave to reheat. Crispy potato will recrisp within the oven – 180C/350F for round 10 minutes.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
LIFE OF DOZER
It’s ANZAC Day right this moment right here in Australia, 25 April 2018. It’s a day once we commemorate the Australian and New Zealand Military Corps (“ANZACs”) who served and sacrificed for our nation within the first world warfare.
Dozer wears an Anzac rosemary sprig on his collar for (most of) the day and we make a donation to the ANZAC Enchantment. A really small gesture.
The submit Honey Mustard Baked Hen Drumsticks with Smashed Potatoes appeared first on RecipeTin Eats.