A deeply savoury lamb and vegetable filling topped with creamy mashed potato and a golden cheese crust. Shepherd’s Pie is a kind of meals that brings a smile to everybody’s face – particularly if you get seconds!
After I shared my Cottage Pie on Fb, there was virtually an all out cyber-war about whether or not it was in actual fact Cottage Pie or Shepherd’s Pie.
So let me simply reply the burning query first, to get that out of the best way:
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COTTAGE PIE AND SHEPHERD’S PIE?
Cottage Pie is made with beef and Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb.
Shepherds herd sheep. Not cows. That’s how I keep in mind it!!
Apart from beef vs lamb, they’re primarily precisely the identical recipe – albeit I modify the sauce flavouring ever so barely completely different to swimsuit the respective meat.
So a Shepherd’s Pie made with beef is Cottage Pie, and Cottage Pie made with lamb is Shepherd’s Pie!
When you’re new to Shepherd’s Pie, let me be the primary to welcome you to your new favorite consolation meals. Basically, it’s lamb and veggies smothered in a gravy – and who doesn’t love an excuse for tons and tons of gravy? All these occasions you have been restricted to only a small drizzle on a number of slices of roast lamb as a result of there wasn’t sufficient to go round… Bah! This is the way you get your gravy repair!!
There are a number of phases to creating Shepherd’s Pie, but it surely’s a simple recipe. There’s simply two little issues that you simply don’t see in most recipes, little issues that bugged me:
- Cool the filling earlier than topping with potato: It thickens and makes it simpler to unfold the potato throughout the highest and it stops the potato weeping into the filling;
- Creamier mashed potato= simpler to unfold and simply an all spherical higher consuming expertise. I simply don’t like dry, very agency mash. After I break by the mash, I need it to be borderline collapsing, reasonably than having the ability to reduce cleanly by it like cake.
I stress once more – these are little issues that bug me, so be at liberty to by-pass them! – Nagi x
PS Sure, that crust is as loopy golden in actual life because it seems to be within the images. I even needed to dial again the color after I was enhancing the images!
PPS In case you have been in actual fact after Cottage Pie – made with beef. Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb!
Shepherd’s Pie is a kind of meals that brings a smile to everybody’s face – particularly if you get seconds! Change the lamb with beef, and you’ve got Cottage Pie. Terrific make forward! Recipe video beneath.
- 1 half tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (, minced)
- 1 onion (, finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (, finely chopped)
- 1 rib celery (, finely chopped)
- three/four tsp every dried thyme and rosemary ((or 2 sprigs recent thyme + 1 sprig rosemary))
- 750 g / 1.5 lb floor lamb ((mince))
- ¼ cup / 35g flour
- ¼ cup / 55g tomato paste
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef inventory / broth
- half cup / 125 ml pink wine ((or water))
- 1 beef bouillon dice (, crumbled)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1.2 kg / 2.2 lb potatoes, peeled and reduce into 2.5cm / 1" cubes
- 2/three cup / 165 ml milk ((entire or low fats))
- 2 tbsp / 30g butter
- 2 – three tbsp grated parmesan (, elective)
- 2 tbsp / 30g butter (, melted)
- Recent thyme leaves, elective garnish
Warmth oil in a big skillet over medium excessive warmth. Add onion and garlic, cook dinner for 1 minute. Then add carrots, celery, thyme and rosemary. Prepare dinner for three minutes or till softened and candy.
Flip warmth as much as excessive. Add lamb and cook dinner, breaking it up as you go, till browned.
Add flour and blend in. Add tomato paste, broth, pink wine, bouillon dice, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir properly.
Deliver to simmer, then flip down warmth so it’s simmering quickly – I’ve it on medium. Prepare dinner for 30 minutes, stirring sometimes, till it reduces right down to a thick gravy consistency (Be aware 1) (see video).
Alter salt and pepper to style. Switch Filling to 1.5 litre / quart pie baking dish. Stir by peas. Cowl, then refrigerate to chill for 1 – 2 hours or in a single day (elective, Be aware 2)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Prepare dinner potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes or till tender. Drain then return to pot on turned off range. Permit to steam dry for 30 seconds or so (Be aware three).
Add butter and mash till melted, then add milk, salt and pepper. Mash till it’s tender and easy (ie spreadable, however not sloppy), adjusting with a contact extra milk if required.
Unfold mash onto pie, use a fork to attract squiggles over the floor. Sprinkle with parmesan, drizzle with butter.
Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or till deep golden on prime and effervescent on the perimeters. Stick a knife into the center to make sure it’s piping scorching.
- Stand for five minutes earlier than serving, garnished with recent thyme leaves if desired.
* Carrots and celery are used to make a very nice mirepoix / soffrritto flavour base for this pie. Nevertheless, they are often omitted, however add 1 tsp of sugar as a substitute.
1. Regardless of the thickness of the sauce if you pour it into the dish, that’s what it is going to be as soon as baked – no steam escapes whereas baking to permit it to scale back any additional. So hold cooking till it’s the consistency you need – you don’t need it too runny in any other case it’s like lamb soup!
2. Cooling the filling ensures that the potato doesn’t weep into the filling and makes it a lot simpler to unfold. If you’re in a rush – as I usually am – pop it within the freezer when you make the potato. That works fairly properly.
three. Watery potatoes drops extra liquid into the filling which makes the sauce watery and might make the potatoes weep into the filling. So don’t skip the step of steam drying the potatoes! Additionally, make sure that the mash is scorching when spreading onto the pie. Chilly mash is tough and inconceivable to unfold.
four. Variations: If I’m making this for firm or am on a calorie-blow-out mission, I add a giant handful of cheese into the potato (cheddar, tasty, gruyere, Monterey Jack). It doesn’t want it, it’s a bonus.
For the filling, typically I cut back the quantity of lamb and add chopped veggies like zucchini and spinach (frozen thawed or recent).
5. Make forward directions: Fabulous for making forward. Assemble pie however don’t bake it. As soon as cool, then both refrigerate or freeze. Thaw if frozen (it should take manner too lengthy to bake from frozen) then bake as per recipe.
6. Vitamin per serving, assuming 6 servings.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
LIFE OF DOZER
The petting zoo is now formally open for enterprise! The star attraction is again to his ordinary cheerful self and searching for confined-space-entertainment.
Now for the enjoyable half – rehab. He’s being such a sook about it.
* For these taking part in catch up, Dozer utterly destroyed his ACL (rear knee), underwent surgical procedure and is 2 weeks right into a three to four month restoration interval. Difficult for this extremely energetic canine!
The submit Shepherd’s Pie appeared first on RecipeTin Eats.